Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

The best way to the oogata licence?

None of the instructors or testers at Futako are foreigners and none are cops or ex cops. They have one old timer who sits in a corner office who's a retired high level cop, his job is to smooth over fuck ups with the police. Things like mistakenly letting students drive outside the gates when they don't have a permit, stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EvilTwin
    Quote Originally Posted by CroMagnon View Post
    None of the instructors or testers at Futako are foreigners and none are cops or ex cops. They have one old timer who sits in a corner office who's a retired high level cop, his job is to smooth over fuck ups with the police. Things like mistakenly letting students drive outside the gates when they don't have a permit, stuff like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There used to be a Brit instructor - maybe he's no longer there, but he was for sure.

The requirements for being an instructor at a driving school are precisely the same as for anyone accompanying a driver with a learner's permit: you must have held the license yourself for two years. That is all.

Exam proctors have to be certified by the cops to give the skills test as proxy examiners.

A certain few graduates will periodically be pulled at the license center and made to redo the skills test there. This is a quality control check.

They hire former high-up traffic cops as "advisors" strictly as an "in" with officialdom and to keep them off their backs. They do nothing and serve no other function. Simple corruption is all it is.

Quote Originally Posted by RedSquare View Post
    I got my large bike license in NZ 20 years ago, converted to UK license when I moved back to London. When I came to Japan 8 years ago this converted to a Chuugata (the law has since changed and this would convert to an Oogata now).
    Two years ago I wanted to upgrade to Oogata but my UK license needed renewing and I was not in UK.
    You can move up from Chuugata to Oogata by "just" passing a practical course at a police riding test center. Fukuoka or Samezu in Tokyo.
    Unfortunately the police examiners are very tough. I spent last summer failing 5 times. Which is apparently very common.
    This summer I just paid the money to Koyama driving school in Tamagawa. 120,000 yen, so bloody expensive. But I was very rusty after 20 years, which included an 8 year break. So I learnt a lot, and passed the riding exam first time. The exam is taken at the same course you train on, invigilated by your teachers.
    Recommend.
    If you give the name of a previous student, you get a small discount. PM me for my name if you want to do that.
    Do you have a reference for the "the law has since changed and this would convert to an Oogata now"?
    This is the first I have heard of it and would like additional confirmation.
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by harlock View Post
    Do you have a reference for the "the law has since changed and this would convert to an Oogata now"?
    This is the first I have heard of it and would like additional confirmation.
    thanks
    It is true itís changed BUT the upgrade test if you have riding experience is not that bad. Itís just jumping thru the Japanese bureaucratic hoops😊